Area 3 Chapters

Area 3 Chapters in the beautiful state of Maine:


*Bog Hoot Quilters-Mechanic Falls area
*Chickadee Quilters-Bridgton Area
*Classic Quilters of Lewiston-Auburn Area
*Country Aire Quilters-Turner Area
*Country Square Quilters-North Jay/Wilton Area
*Cross Country Quilters-Bethel Area
*Grammy's Choice Quilters-Canton Area
*Ladies of the Lake Quilters-Peru/Rumford/Dixfield Area
*Lisbon Krazy Kwilters-Lisbon Area
*Pine Needle Quilters-Norway/South Paris Area
*Scraps and Patches Quilters-Poland Area
*Village Scrappers Quilters-Livermore Area


Monday, October 6, 2014

New Quilts of Valor Contact

The following email came in today from Ms. Jackson to share with Area 3:
 
Hello, everyone,

"I don't know if you know of me through the Guild, as I've been a member for many years (who just re-joined Bedtime Quilters in Bucksport), and I attend most of the PTQG Member Meetings along with Maine Quilts, but perhaps you are aware of the Quilts of Valor Foundation. I am the new State Coordinator for QOVF - taking over from Marie McSwine, who had to step down from the position last year.

The mission of QOVF is to cover service members and veterans touched by war with comforting and healing Quilts of Valor. Over the last ten years, the Foundation, through thousands of volunteers, has awarded over 106,000 quilts. Many have been shipped to military hospitals, including Germany, while others have been awarded in ceremonies at bases such as Fort Hood, or in private events.
 
I currently have three formal requests for quilts to be awarded here in Maine. Each of the requests has come to me through the QOVF website's request page, and I believe each one has come from an out-of-state, comrade in arms of the proposed recipient. I have quilts (one complete, two in progress) to meet these requests.
 
However, that highlights another reason I am writing: to find out if you and the chapters in your area make quilts to honor our service members and veterans? As more requests come in, quilts will be needed. My role as coordinator is to work with and support quilters in the effort to honor our military. I am working to set up some sew-ins, and some simple block drives to allow more quilters to participate without requiring huge commitments by any one individual.
 
As things come together in the next several weeks, I have some fundraising options I will undertake that will help offset the cost of fabric, batting, etc. for quilters joining in our effort.
I would appreciate the chance to visit your areas to talk about QOVF and spread the word so we can work together to cover the deserving service members and veterans here in Maine. I'm thinking the Fall Area Meetings would be a great opportunity, and I hope you concur. If you do, please let me know where and when, or any appropriate contact name(s) you could share with me to work out other venues.
 
I look forward to hearing from you soon. There is a link below where you can learn more about the Quilts of Valor Foundation, and me."

Regards,
 
Marie
D. Marie Jackson
State Coordinator ~ Maine
Quilts of Valor Foundation
 
The Quilts of Valor Foundation is a non-profit organization established and operated in accordance with section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code

No comments:

Post a Comment